Wednesday, February 24, 2010

notes on el calafate, el chalten, and bariloche


So, first off. Some new pictures are up! But not many, and definitely not most- pretty much just from our hiking trip in El Chalten, with a few shots of Perito Moreno Glacier in El Calafate (but not us on the glacier). Anyhow, we lack a post on El Chalten (my favorite place so far. awesome. so awesome. definitely in my top ten favorite things, people, and places)-- so enjoy the photos until we get a post up!

Some quick notes about the last week or two-

One thing that's cool about hiking beneath towering glacial mountains and their runoff is that all of the water is 100% clean and drinkable- only once have we had to use iodine tablets. Also, drinking freezing cold glacier runoff is a really nice way to cool down at the end of a long hike. Buahahah. Eat your heart out, Gen.


Also- my headlamp broke, which is kind of a huge loss, and really sad! Now I have no means of sneakily eating cookies and reading under the covers in my hostels at night. I'm trying to decide whether to splurge on a comparatively expensive one here, or hold out until I come home in May.

We also might need to buy a calentador, which I don't know the word for in English (Wes says the word is 'camp stove.' Oh. right). The metal thing you use with a gas canister to cook with? That thing. We rented what turned out to be kind of a broken one (so we were very careful with it, natch, parents) for our last hike (to Paso de los Nubes, or Pass of the Clouds, in Bariloche- buahahahahaha eat your heart out AGAIN Gen) and when we brought it back to the rental place to show the guy it was broken, he almost blew up the store. It was ridiculous. Wes and I and this guy just ran out the door without even thinking about pouring water on the flaming gas canister. Luckily, they make those gas canisters way more durable than we expected, and it didn't explode and burn all the nice camping gear inside. Please, parents, don't have an aneurysm, we're fine. It was ridiculous though.

Also, a great deal of thanks are in order! Eliza's xmas care package has come in handy constantly, as has Bari's gifted binoculars(monoculars?) and compass. (OH MAN. And I just finished (about a week ago) In Patagonia and it was awesome. My highest recommendation to anyone travelling down here- and I'm so glad to be done with it right before we leave Patagonia itself.) You guys are so good to me. And, Aunt Jeanne, you'll be pleased to know my graduation gift (thank you!) was invested directly into the chocolate industry of Bariloche. They send their thanks as well. Plus-- Bennett cousins, I am getting major mileage out of my jewelry bag from last xmas, and my awesome camouflage Camp Bennett bathingsuit.

Also, one last thing. I cannot stop eating chocolate. Seriously. It's becoming very scary. Okay. I think that's all that's on my mind right now. We're farmbound today, and thus incomunucado for a bit. Hopefully we'll be able to get the other eight hundred photos we haven't posted yet up soon! Ciao!

6 comments:

  1. i just saw your blog! argentina looks just the same as i left it! your pictures are amazing, and i hope you're enjoying your time there so far.

    Drink more Quilmes and don't forget about the Aguila brownie alfajores (they're the best!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, ^ and this post are by tiffany c., your coolest DC contact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I gots a shout out. I feel so special. Meanwhile, SHEMERGENCY KIT FOR THE WIN! :D

    And more beautiful photos, per usual... But not as beautiful as you! awwwwwww....

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you bring me back alfajores i BUY you a headlamp.

    FOR REALZ YO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey kate-- saw your mom the other night and she mentioned this blog. Looks like you are having a great time! hugs from me and the rest of the mondshein clan..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your blog look so great im sure you have unforgettable memories in that place if you have another time of adventure visit machu picchu mountain in peru, i love viewing your blog.

    ReplyDelete